Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

my letting agent has kept the rent for 5 months its some 15000

Customer Question

my letting agent has kept the rent for 5 months its some 15000 pounds he says he had a cash flow problem what can i do
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

1. You need to sue your letting agent as a matter of urgency, as this "cash flow problem" is quickly becoming theft. You should get a judgment against him immediately, change your letting agent and have the rent paid directly to you or to another letting agent and inform the police. Being unable to come up with £15,000 in rent to you suggests a wider problem as there will be other people who haven't had rent paid to them. So your aim now must be to be first in the queue for payment as the next thing is this person will be going bankrupt without paying you your rental monies. Be aware additionally that this problem has been running for at least six months with several people. So you need to act on it immediately. Get yourself a good solicitor and start proceedings as soon as possible.