75100385

I booked the premier inn at gatwick for an overnight stay on

Customer Question

Attachment: 2014-10-19_142033_premier_inn_gatwick_north.docx

Attachment: 2014-10-19_142136_premier_inn_reply.docx

I booked the premier inn at gatwick for an overnight stay on 10/11 Sept. I knew I would be arriving late so I informed them by telephone and they said if I hadn't have told them they would have re-let my room after 5.00p.m. On arrival in the early hours of 11 September I was told my room was not available and had not been double booked. I asked if a note had been made on my booking to say I was arriving late and they said it had. I had to wait until 4.30 in the morning for another room. A letter had b een placed under the door of the hotel room stating that I was refunded for the night. But I didn't want a refund. I wanted to know why my room was given to someone else when a note had been made on my booking form that I was arriving late. I immediately upon arriving at home wrote to the Premier Inn and they said there was a systems failure and have offered me a free night at one of their hotels. I sent my correspondence to the chief executive and chairman. I have since received another reply from the chief executive to say that there had been an anomoly and he was sticking by what his colleague had said. I feel as though I have been fobbed off when someone with a minor complaint about the hotel can get their money back and all I got was a free room for one night. This is a disgrace as they have never answered any of my questions. ( For example, what room I was allocated at the time of the booking and I wished to see a copy of their policy stating that the room would be re-booked if a customer didn't arrive by 5.00 p.m. ) Neither question has been answered. What do you suggest I do as I am not happy with the outcome

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know whether you had prepaid for the room?
JACUSTOMER-80nq9k04- :

Hello alex yes i did pre pay for the room

Alex Watts :

Ok - did you stay somewhere else, if so what was the cost?

JACUSTOMER-80nq9k04- :

we had to wait for another room to become vacant at gatwick premier which wad 4 30 in morning of 11th. We paid 49 pound

Alex Watts :

Ok -how much do you want to sue for?

JACUSTOMER-80nq9k04- :

What do you think would be a reasonable amount and would I be liable for their costs if I lost. I am a pensioner and feel very nervous about suing such a large company, even though I know they are in the wrong on this particular occasion. Are you able to advise me on this?

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. I think a reasonable amount would be around £250

Alex Watts :

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-80nq9k04- :

Thank you Alex. I appreciate it is a difficult question to answer but what do you think the chances are that they would pay £250.00. Alternatively, I booked and paid for, prior to booking the Premier Inn at Gatwick, three rooms for one night only amounting to £89.00 in Teesside over Christmas for me and my family as it is my mum s 90th birthday on Christmas Eve. Rather than go the court route do you think I could approach them to pay this cost (and possibly food for the day) instead of the offer of a free room which they have already offered. If they do not agree could I then inform them that I will go down the route you suggest?

Alex Watts :

I think the Court is likely to award you £250.

Alex Watts :

You could of course ask them for the alternative cost as you have mentioned.

Alex Watts :

But I think you would win in Court.

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

JACUSTOMER-80nq9k04- :

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Alex for the information provided. I just need to clarify that the list of my losses would include time and effort in sending correspondence, the fact that we only had the room for 4 hours and the fact that questions I asked have been unanswered. The fact that I had telephoned to say I would be late was on my booking form but they still insist it was a systems failure. Would there be anything else I would need to list. Also could I mention that I have spoken to a solicitor (not you personnally) on the subject.

You can mention you have sought legal advice, yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Alex

If I do not win in court would I be liable for their costs?

If it's a small claim no.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good Afternoon Alex

I am in the process of writing my letter to the Premier Inn. I've decided to take your advice and ask for my losses. Could you advise me on what items I need to claim for as well as admin, telephone calls and inconvenience of not being allocated the room to total the £250.00

Great. Good luck.