75100385

We are a UK charity (***************** and hae been trading

Customer Question

we are a UK charity (***************** and hae been trading for over 20 years) and we have started a international relief programme since 2013. We have produced leaflets, literature which has been distributed in a large scale. We have also had a logo identity produced by our branding experts. Our international project is called *****************  and we have worked in the Philippines after last years typhoon and also built water wells in Kenya for people living in poverty. We have found out that another charity which goes by the name of *****************  of prisoner welfare (***************** ) has recently (in the last few months) changed their charity name to *****************  (they also know of our Sikh relief project). Not only that but they have also copied our logo which. What can we do? Can we take them down any legal route?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve, to stop them using your name and logo?

JACUSTOMER-imlhn98z- :

yes that would be the best option to stop them from using both name and logo as people will not

JACUSTOMER-imlhn98z- :

trust the work we have been doing and will obviously think this other organisation was behind the work. But as they have registered the name with the charity commission I do not know where we stand?

Alex Watts :

Ok, what you need to do is apply to the Court for an injunction to stop them.

Alex Watts :

You need to complete form N1

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

And N16a

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n016a-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

You need to ask the court for an order that they stop using the name and logo

Alex Watts :

The Court will list the matter for a hearing. A copy will be sent to the other side - the Defendant.

Alex Watts :

They will then have an opportunity to make representations and the Judge will decide whether to make an Order.

Alex Watts :

The Judge will also, if the matter is contested, will set the matter down for a final hearing and give directions for the matter for trial.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-imlhn98z- :

ok. thanks. will we need to appoint a solicitor to submit this to court and also do you know if their is cost for this initial stage of submission?

Alex Watts :

You can do it yourself or you can appoint a Solicitor, but clearly there will be a cost

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

JACUSTOMER-imlhn98z- :

No that is fine for now. Thank you for your help.

Alex Watts :

Great. Can I help with anything else today?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/