Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I purchase a car for cash for my son it is registered in his

Customer Question

I purchase a car for cash for my son it is registered in his name, the invoice was in his name but I have full proof I paid for it. how can I stop him selling it?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did you give him the money as a loan?
Is the car legally registered in his name?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I loaned him the money

yes unfortunately it is registered in his name and the invoice is in his name, this was to ease parking permit requirements.

I of course have proof the funds came fro me

KR

Peter

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
When you loaned him the money was their any discussion as to when he would repay it? Or was it a sort of "open" loan?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes either when he sold the car or his finances were strong enough.

I note you are in the USA. to confirm I am in the UK

regards p

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
I am a UK based solicitor. The site is administered in the USA.
I am afraid there is nothing you can do to stop him selling the car. He is the legal owner, he has the log book and to a bona fide third party they would be able to acquire the car with good title and in the good faith that he is entitled to sell it.
Your only option would be to sue him for the recovery of the loan once the car is sold. This would be a straight forward money claim - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
The only alternative action you could take to let him know the seriousness of the situation is to serve him with a statutory demand - this comes with a 21 day penal notice, that if does not pay you would then be entitled to petition for his bankruptcy. This would certainly put pressure on him to repay you, but if he calls your bluff (as I presume you would not actually bankrupt him) you would have to sue him. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/overview
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ