Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I live in a Maisonette, there are 12 in total, each of the

I live in a Maisonette, there are 12 in total, each of the flats has a share of the freehold and we run our own management company. Is it possible for me to extend my lease which stands at 64 years with the agreement of the management company without having to go through expensive solicitors costs, and what would the procedure be.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

As you all own a share in the Freehold, each of you should be entitled to grant yourselves a Lease extension for no consideration.

In the hope that you all get on, it would be sensible to raise this isuue at your next meeting, and on th ebasis that all of the Leases have only 64 years left, it would be prudent for all 12 of you to extend your Leases at the same time.

Subject to the above, the appropriate Lease extensions can then be drafted. I am afraid you will need to instruct a Solicitor to act on behalf of the Management Company in drafting the Lease extension(s). If he is instructed to draft all 12, it is going to be a lot cheaper overall than if he is instructed just to prepare one Lease extension. (A Solicitor would normally charge approx £750 plus VAT, but if he is instructed to do all 12, I would hope this fee would be reduced to about £400 plus VAT for each Lease extension).

Provided the Solicitor is happy that there is no conflict of interest, which there should not be, he will also be able to act for you in your capacity as Tenant, in registering the Lease extension at the Land Registry, for which there will be a fee of £40. Please note that if you or any of the residents have a Mortgage over your respective masionettes, then your Mortgage Lender will also need to be notified of the Lease extension and a further Deed will need to be signed by you, transferring the Mortgage on to the "new Lease extension".

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

AL