Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I understand there is now a right, under the The Openness

I understand there is now a right, under the The Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014, to record (film with a recording device) parish council meetings. My question is - does this particular part of the law apply to all parish councils, irrespective of size (financially or otherwise), in England? Thank you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. Under the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act, 1960, a relevant government body to which the recording of the meeting applies is defined as either the Council of the Isles of Scilliy, a parish council, or a parish meeting of a parish which does not have its own parish council. There is no limitation in terms of the size of the parish council, nor is there any limitation in so far as it relates to the financial size of the parish council. Accordingly, you can film it with a recording device and publish it either simultaneously or subsequently, on the internet, publicly or privately as you want. The aim underlying the legislation and the 2014 Regulations SI 2095/2014 is that there be transparency and openness in so far as parish council meetings are concerned.

Customer:

Many thanks for your explicit response!