75100385

My landlord is having renovations done on the house I have

My landlord is having renovations done on the house I have rented for 38 years and they have rehoused me in the meantime. The builder carrying out the work has informed me that he is changing the locks to stop people walking in and out. Only myself and the builder has keys to my house. He says it's to do with insurance and he doesn't want me going in and tripping over their tools and equipment. I explained that I need to have access to collect my post especially with xmas coming up, as it's only temporary I have not had my post redirected, I am actually staying two doors away from my house. Can he legally change the locks on my house ? I am still paying rent and utility bills on my house.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What type of tenancy agreement do you have?

Customer:

Hi Alex, all I know is that myself and 1 other tenant have both lived in properties in the same street for over thirty years, the landlord has to apply to the council rent officer to increase the rent. Other tenants in this street are on a 6 month tenancy and their rent is adjusted each time the tenancy is renewed.

Alex Watts : Ok. Why can't you have post redirected or put up a postbox outside for you to collect it?
Customer:

Because it is only for a couple of months, it doesn't seem worth it. Forgetting the post issue, can the builder legally deny me access to my home that I am still paying rent on ? None of the other tenants had their locks changed when he carried out the work on their properties.

Alex Watts :

Is the Landlord paying for your rehousing at the same time please?

Customer:

Yes, I am living there rent free and continuing to pay rent on my house.

Alex Watts : Ok. Well it's a difficult one. On the one hand you are paying rent, but on the other if you tripped or hurt yourself then you could sue the builder.
Alex Watts : You could say you won't or that you would sign a disclaimer however in law you can't exclude personal injury through negligence
Alex Watts : Therefore if you hurt yourself in the house you could sue for perosnal Injury.
Alex Watts : Clealry this is an issue for the builder.
Alex Watts : Therefore based on the risk presented you need to check your tenancy agreement.
Alex Watts : If it allows the Landlord to do major works then he can exclude you for these works
Alex Watts : This is because of health and safety.
Alex Watts : after all if you were killed as a result would your family say, well that's ok he was given the keys? Of course not.
Alex Watts : Therefore you are being provided with accommodation
Alex Watts : You can have it redirected for 0-3 months if you wish for £25
Alex Watts : You should do this and the landlord will pay for it.
Alex Watts : But can the Landlord exclude you for your own safety, yes he can.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Thank you Alex, I guess I will have to go along with the builders wishes. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Alex Watts : Happy to help and I am sorry it's not better news. But if you ended up being hurt would you really say, well it's my own fault the builder let me in.
Alex Watts : But claim the £25 from the landlord for redirection, that is not unreasonable.
Alex Watts : Can I help with anything else today?
Customer:

No that's all thank you.

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could invite you to rate my service before you go today please. The button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience