Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

We have a barn in the grounds of our house.We converted this

Customer Question

We have a barn in the grounds of our house.
We converted this into a single dwelling 9 years ago and lived in it whilst we renovated our house.
We have sworn statements that we lived in the Barn as the house was dilapidated.
The barn uses the electricity and water from the house supply but has its own oil fired boiler supply. It has shared access from the road. It has its own garden and storage area for bins and a shed.
The council have asked us to apply for a certificate of lawfulness and are suggesting it is an annex
We have tenants living in the barn since April 2014
If they give us permission for an annex will we have to apply for change of use as we would like to keep the tenants or what do we need to prove it is a single dwelling.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue to find an expert

many thanks

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue to find an expert

Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
1. If the Council decide in dealing with the Certificate of Lawfulness that your barn is an annex, there will be no need to apply for a change of use, as classifying it as an annex for planning purposes is legalising its current use and planning. As the annex/barn uses electricity and water from the main house, this is consistent with it being an annex. Be aware that you don't have to apply for any planning change of use just because you have tenants in the old barn. There is no separate planning category for (extensive) dwellings which have tenants in part of them, such as an annex.