Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

i AM A WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER. iN AUGUST A PERSON TRIPPED OVER

i AM A WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER. iN AUGUST A PERSON TRIPPED OVER MY BAG WHICH IS ALWAYS CLOSE TO ME. i DO ALWAYS WARN PEOPLE TO BE CAREFUL AS THE EQUIPMENT IS EXPENSIVE. sHE WAS OK AND GOT UP . SHE SAID SHE WAS FINE. i HAVE NO CLAIM YET AND DO NOT EXPECT ONE. COULD SHE STILL CLAIM IF SHE HAD A MIND
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. No claim can be successful unless there has been fault or negligence. Accordingly, someone who trips over a bag cannot say someone else is at fault, as they should have been looking where they are going. So even if a claim were made, I doubt very much that it would be successful. The person who tripped over your bag will be well aware of this fact if they see a solicitor. So I wouldn't unduly concern yourself worrying about a claim in these circumstances. The general rule of law where obstacles are concerned is that person must take care. They cannot find another person to be at fault if they do not look where they are going. So I would rest easy on this one, if I were you.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your response. This concern follows dropping off the disc of images at the brides mother who has informed me that she intends to sue some of the wedding suppliers . She make unpleasant remakes to me and the woman in question was her mother. It just a case of covering all bases. I have liability insurance and indemnity. Because of her attitude yesterday I put the insurance on notice as she could have some influence over her daughter. I informed them of the fall as well. Do you think I should have infromed them straight away?