UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi. My wife and I came home from work to find one of our fence

Hi. My wife and I came home from work to find one of our fence panels has been broken. Although this has happened whilst we were out and therefore do not have absolute proof, the neighbours children do play ball games in the garden which invariably results in the ball hitting the fence; a fact that we have tolerated up to this point. we know it is not the wind as there is a hole in the fence that is cleraly caused by an object striking the panel. They are renting the property so don't know where we stand legally and who to contact. Any advice about this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
As you do not know for sure that it is your neighbours kids who have caused the damage, I would suggest that you go over to your neighbours and speak to them.
If they admit that the damage was caused by their kids, then you could try and agree with them on a settlement figure to enable you to get your fence repaired.
If they do not admit liability, then you have a problem as it would be up to you to prove who caused the damage.
May I help further?