13262538

Hello. My problem is over 18 years ago I went to a solicitor

Customer Question

Hello. My problem is over 18 years ago I went to a solicitor for a divorce whilst on legal aid. My husband committed adultery I am still waiting for divorce. My case needs to go to court so the judge will hopefully sign me as home owner as in all this time my husband did not pay anything towards our two young girls at the time anything towards the home bills etc. My problem is my solicitor has changed her place of work for the second time and is now saying that i need to sign as a new client and will have to pay. I feel as though she never took my case seriously phobbed me off with different excuses. My husband took out our endowment without my knowledge and the mortgage will need to be paid up within four years. I am not sure if I can sue him for fraud this is also a dilemma for me. Is there anything i can do regarding the solicitor and also the endowment? Please help me as I am feeling very confused and don't know where I stand on either of my problems many thanks
Could you explain a little more about the background to the matter please?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and how much was the endowment worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello clare I need to pay 30.000 back I'm really not sure how much he got for the endowment, I think it's worth about 150.000 or a little more. I have bought up our two girls alone and maintained the house since he left over 18 years ago. I only ever got 2 payments from the csa years ago

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you there clare I cannot see your reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Not replying to my reply not happy to pay
I am sorry but I have to take question sin Order and every time you posted it dropped to the bottom of the list
has there actually been a court order setting out what the financial settlement should be
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

This is why I come for advice of what I can do to solicitor aswell. 18 years and nothing now saying I have to sign up as a new client in her place of wor Can this be right to

Right
What assets are there and how far has the financial matter reached - and why has it taken such an outrageous amount of time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good evening clare it's my solicitor I think because legal aid ran out years ago she has been dragging her feat. Admittedly husband kept changing his solicitor to begin with but my solicitor is now trying to tell me that I need to become a new paying client can this be right this is one of my issues. She keeps giving me all different excuses and alas is now more than 18 years. Unsure regarding the financial amount if any as really hasn't done very much over this amount of time even though I have given her all the information she required. I need to know if at any point would I have stopped being her client.

Do you mean you wish to move to another solicitor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I need to know if my solicitor after 18 years is allowed to say I have to sign as a new client. And I'd I have any grounds against husband for taking out endowment policy without my knowledge or signature. He is the main name on the mortgage. Thank you

If she has moved to a new firm then I am afraid that she has no choice but to sign you up as a new client to the firm - and she will have to do what are called "money laundering checks" - it is a requirement of the Law Society - our professional body.
The fact that your husband has cashed in the Endowment Policy will be a matter that will have to be taken into account as part of the financial settlement
Please ask if you need further details