UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a UK national and got married to a Kenyan national last

I am a UK national and got married to a Kenyan national last year. After living together in Kenya for the past year we now want to live in the UK. I would like to know what the procedure involves and his entitlements/rights once he comes over to the UK? I have recently started working here with an income of 20k p/a so I understand that I fulfill the requirements. But what I would also like to know is when will be receive Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, and as he is currently an Airline Pilot in Kenya would he be able to apply for jobs immediately after moving to the UK despite not holding a British passport?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You may sponsor him for a spouse settlement visa which will enable him to come and live with you in the UK and work without any restriction.
After 5 years in the UK, he may apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. The first 5 years are probationary and if you are still living together as a couple after the 5 years, only then can be receive indefinite leave to remain.
He needs to apply online for the visa, it is a family visa to join family members living permanently in the UK, see here
https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk
The application process is here, including documents required, visa fees etc:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/apply
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.
Some of the UK airlines have stated on pilot vacancies "British passport holders" as part of their job requirements. In your opinion would my husband still be able to apply for these vacancies with his probationary visa status?
No, he will not if the policy is to employ British passport holders.
Please leave feedback