LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

As a landlord and have just had an underground water leak repaired

As a landlord and have just had an underground water leak repaired affecting a business which incurred | tile removal and a part strip of wallpaper lifting which is now drying out via a d.humidifier. The engineer is returning to place e new skirting board stick down the wallpaper which is in good condition and stick down the tile which was removed. My tennant does not appear to be happy as | settled this cost immediately rather than go through th |nsurance of which she pays her part share of. She feels | should have had a lost adjuster in to assess the damage which was obviouse to the eye what needed doing. As no other tiles have been affected | feel | have done the right thing. Can you give your opinion on this
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

You have had a problem reported, investigated it and fixed it at your own expense? I can't see what you have done wrong. It is your decision whether to go through the insurers, (you I assume pay most of the premiums). If you don't report it immediately to the insurers then yo may not be able to use the insurance at all if you want to later but of you decide to do it all yourself then I can't see a legal issue for the tenant. Your tenancy agreement will probably contain provisions re repairs. Have you complied with this?

Customer:

yes. | think she is concerned regarding damp which may be under ground. This surely will not cause a health and safety problem

Customer:

Yes. I feel she is concerned regarding damp under ground regarding a health and safety hazard

LondonlawyerJ :

Have you dealt with the damp?