12826847

Someone in my family has done fraud in my partners name eg

Someone in my family has done fraud in my partners name eg took out 7 mobile contracts and obtained a laptop on finance. After doing some investigation Tesco stores and Currys have got them on CCTV. The police are not really doing anything. Can I instruct a solicitor to obtain a copy of the CCTV footage.
Why haven't the police seized it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have already told the police but was told all ID fraud is handle by fraud action who are based in London and it will take minimum 3 weeks before any thing is done.
This family member who has committed this crime is threatening to burn my house and car business. He is well known by the police
There is no point in instructing a solicitor I'm afraid.
Solicitors don't have any more rights to collect evidence than anybody else and since there is an ongoing police investigation they will not act anyway.
The police need to seize CCTV. They have rights and entitlements to do so under PACE and a duty to investigate crime properly.
You should really complain about this to a more senior officer. The plain fact is that they are too busy investigating stupid attention seeking allegations of trivial sexual assaults forty years ago and domestic squabbles euphemistically called domestic abuse to deal with any real crime in the UK. Its about time proper victims no longer accepted playing second fiddle to people who are just plain professional victims.
If a senior officer will not help then complain to the IPCC. This is not acceptable. If they haven't got resources then perhaps sometimes in the CSU could tear themselves away from a childish domestic dispute to come and help investigate proper fraud. Either way, its not your problem.