Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My wife and i have been together for 8 years, we married 2

Customer Question

My wife and i have been together for 8 years, we married 2 months ago. We bought a house together 18months ago, we put equal amounts in for the deposit. I have paid the mortgage and some bills totalling £850 p/m and she paid the utilities at £300 p/m. Now she has decided she wants to separate, i want to keep the house on and was wondering what advice you could give?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

1. The obvious solution if you want to keep on the house is to buy her out. Effectively this will have to happen as part of a larger arrangement in relation to divorce. Where parties get married, the house is part of the marital assets, so it will be dealt with as part of the divorce. However, as you have effectively, put in equal amounts for the deposit, albeit you have paid the mortgage for an 18 month period, it can be said that you own it jointly. So you should try and reach some agreement in the context of the wider divorce arrangements to buy her out of the house.