13262538

Sorry to trouble you but hope you can help. My Grandson is

Sorry to trouble you but hope you can help. My Grandson is being deported from the USA. We understand he was caught with drugs and "High" on drugs!! He is 19 uears old.
His mother still lives in the USA and she can not get any other information about his deportation other than they say they will tell her the day he leaves. We are supposed to pick him up at the airport (London we think). This envolves us in a*****at least. Is there some way we can find out sooner? Also as he can not stay with us (Small 1 B'room flat) can he get help from the Goverment when he returns, he has nothing?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply,I would be grateful if you would please carry on looking for further information Thank You ,looking forward to an early reply

How long has he lived in the States?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 6 years, ,he joined his mother and stepfather, how ever the marriage broke up 4 years later, on the stepfather's instigation , He is American and no longer in touch, my daughter has her green card but could not afford to get the boy's and the stepfather would not get it and did not get hers till she had been there about 5 years, the boy has a passport ,but it is out of date, He married last year, but it only lasted about 4 months please let me know if you need anything else he was picked up because he had been under age drinking and couldn't, be bothered to take the paperwork to get it dropped leading to a warrant for him, many thanks for your trouble

can his mother provide any funds for his immediate needs on his return?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no she has to support herself and can only just manage

On his return to the Uk your grandson may be able to apply for benefits - although he will have to convince the DWP that he should not be subject to the Habitual Residence Test
You can read more here
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/british_and_irish_citizens_hrt.htm
He is not a priority housing need - so it would be a good idea to contact the charity Shelter in your area
http://www.shelter.org.uk/
I am sorry - this is not going to be easy and your grandson will need to work hard to re-establish himself here
Please ask if you ned further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.