12826847

Hi, I have parked in the same car park for the last 3 months

Customer Question

Hi, I have parked in the same car park for the last 3 months and in the last 4-5 weeks I have had to use the car park intermittently. Thus meaning I have blocked book and this leading to me forgetting to phone through and pay for a ticket. I have therefore incurred 4 tickets at a cost of £40 each but the parking ticket itself would only have been £28. Is it possible to just reimburse them the cost of the ticket as oppose to these ridicules costs?
If this is a private land car park then it depends.
If there are signs at the location or otherwise brought to your attention warning you that failing to buy a ticket or overstaying will lead to a fine of £40 then they could argue that the sum is due under the contract with you. Therefore it would not matter what the cost of parking would have been
If the signs do not cover that point then you could argue they only have a claim for the sum of their loss which would be £28.
In truth though, it is not worth going to court for £12 so they might accept it.