Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

we are selling designer wedding dress samples. We would like

we are selling designer wedding dress samples. We would like to know if it is ok to use the original pictures of the wedding dresses from the designers, internet pages. I am intending to this pictures I my website to promote the original designer's samples on my own website. Is that allowed.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. You will need permission from the original wedding dress designer to use their pictures unless they authorise you to sell the designer wedding dress samples. This is because the original designs are protected by copyright. So if you want to use the images of the designs you need permission of some sort or some arrangement that you will sell their product. A supply agreement would be sufficient, Or an agreement that they will sell to you if you provide orders would also be sufficient. Otherwise if you don't get permission of some sort you can be asked to take down the pictures of the designer wedding dresses on copyright grounds.

Customer:

Thanks for your answer. I have purchase the wedding dresses and I own them. I brought them from wedding shop and they are just samples that wedding shops want to get rid of. the images that I want to use are already in the public demand. I can I still use the images ?

Buachaill :

2. Yes, once you have purchased the wedding dresses and you own them, then you can create your own images of them and use them. However, where you use someone else's images, the photographer has copyright. So in strict point of law, you need a licence from the photographer to use them.