UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Good evening, We have taken over a hairdressers in Dagenham,

Good evening,
We have taken over a hairdressers in Dagenham, the rent review was due last December, but the agent did not do it because he said I was ill, but my daughter in law runs the shop anyway he can always go to her, as he often does. Now a surveyor for the landlord has said that the rent should go up at first from 10,500 to 14,500 we disputed this and now he has settled on 13,500 per annum, but he wants it backdated. It is not our fault the agent didn't to the rent review, how do we stand on this, we haven't got the money for the back payment.
Kay Higginbottom
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello Kay,
This is all about negotiations.
You cannot be forced to agree to the backdating and if you are not happy with the proposal, you should refuse it and say that you will only agree to pay the new rent of £13500 p.a from now.
As you said, it is not your problem that a rent review was not carried out when it fell due and you being ill should not have stopped the process.
You should negotiate directly with the landlord or the agent, not the surveyor if the surveyor is not willing to back down on the backdating.
May I help further?