Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi, my daughter became a Driving Instructor earlier this year.

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter became a Driving Instructor earlier this year. In May she bought a brand new car on 5 year interest free credit with no deposit from Vauxhall. Last week she was involved in a 5 vehicle accident. A car behind her had hit another car and then hit the rear of my daughters car forcing her into the car in front. Thankfully she was not hurt, and obviously not to blame. Her car was damaged but not too badly, but surprisingly her insurance company have written it off, and only offered her £9000. She still has over £13000 on the finance. This short fall will ruin her as her car is her lively hood. It seems so unfair when she was not to blame, and this situation is causing much stress. The only people who seem to want to help are injury lawyers, but she is an honest person and doesn't want to claim for injuries that don't exist. Can you help or advise ?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

1. At the outset, your daughter will only get the value of her car back if she sues her own insurance company. Given that there has been a derisory offer of 9k leaving her with a shortfall of 4k, then she might as well go ahead and get herself a reputable solicitor who will sue for the value of her car. That is the only way she can recoup her losses. While she is at it, she might as well sue for the bang she suffered when the other car ran into her. There is no point being backward about coming forward. Once you are in for a penny, you are in for a pound!