UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

we paid a company £117 to provide us with an urgent passport

we paid a company £117 to provide us with an urgent passport appointment - we paid by card
we visited the passport office - we followed the instructions given by the company - but were told that no appointment existed for that perso or appointment number
i cancelled the payment as I then had to drive up to glasgow to get an appointment i booked
the company are saying i have commited a fraud by refusing payment
i say I'm happy to pay for any services they provided but they did not provide an appointment
am i commiting fraud ?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Ella,
No, you have not committed fraud as you do not have an intention to deceive and you did not aCt dishonestly.
The company failed to provide the service you contracted for, so you do not need to pay them anything and you should inform them as such. Fraud is a criminal matter and this is not a criminal matter but a civil issue.
May I help further?