Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi My landlord has just given 2 months notice to quit, not

My landlord has just given 2 months notice to quit, not citing any reason, even though I have lived in the property for over 6 years, paying rent every month, keeping the property as if it were my own and not causing a nuisance. This would mean moving 4 days before Christmas. (I understand that the owner has just changed his agent and I believe that this is behind the letter).
Can I not stay until the next renewal date on the agreement, i.e. 1 February 2015. I propose writing to the agent along these lines. I would be very grateful for your views.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. I appreciate your predicament. It is very difficult to have to move out just before Christmas. However, the law is silent on issue surrounding the date upon which notice may terminate. Accordingly, there is no legal grounds for challenging a two month notice which expires a few days before Christmas. So long as the landlord gives the necessary two month notice, that is the extent of the protection the tenant receives. There is no additional protection based upon the length of time the tenancy has existed. Nor is there legal protection against the notice expiring on an inconvenient date. It is a good idea to formally write to the landlord and make your case, based on being a good tenant who has been present for six years. However, whether an indulgence is granted is purely within the discretion of the landlord. But good luck with it.