12826847

My son was stopped by the Police for a random alcohol test

My son was stopped by the Police for a random alcohol test - and the reading was .51 microgrammes per 100 millilitres. He is 25, his first offence and will lose his employment because of this. I would just like to know the possible penalties as he has limited money and we are concerned for his welfare. I am not excusing him at all - but he was employed by a family member and it is causing all sorts of ramifications.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jo

As outlined - his reading of the breath test was .51 microgrammes of alcohol per millilitres of breath. It is his first offence and is due in Court this Friday at Chester - please could you give me an indication of the possible penalties - he will lose his employment as a consequence of this and will have limited funds - what is the worst case scenario

If this is 51 mg in breath then he will be banned for 12 months and given a fine of between 125-175% of his weekly income. The weekly income will be his income at the time of sentence.
There will also be costs of £85 and the victim surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine.
He will probably be offered the drink driving course which will, if completed in good time, reduce the ban by one quarter.
The worst case scenario is a ban for 16 months but that will not happen here. There is no basis for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that - one final piece of information - if he is unemployed can he pay the fine in instalments? if so over what period of time?

Yes, they will give him time to pay either way.
The minimum amount is £20 a month although that is really only available if you are on benefits or otherwise on a very low income.