How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We live in a house of multiple occupancy in London, with two

Customer Question

We live in a house of multiple occupancy in London, with two self contained flats sharing a small communal hallway / entrance. Both flats have a share of freehold The other freeholder is permanently leaving 6-8 pairs of shoes, a shoe rack, dog leads and an umbrella in the small communal hallway. Whilst the individual items are not bulky they can be a trip hazard and it is our main fire escape. Is there anyway to have these items legally removed? Other than removing a broom the other items remain and the freeholder is not responding to formal requests.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Have You complained to the landlord, rather than freeholder or the council please?
JACUSTOMER-jbkkybgz- :

We have no landlord. We share the freehold between our two flats

JACUSTOMER-jbkkybgz- :

I have not complained to the council as this is not a council home

Alex Watts : Ok, but if it's a HMO won't they licence it?
JACUSTOMER-jbkkybgz- :

It's not a house share as we do not share facilities. They are two entirely self contained flats. we have the downstairs and they have the upstairs

JACUSTOMER-jbkkybgz- :

We are an HMO category F

Alex Watts : Ok. What you can do is write to them and ask them to stop otherwise you will seek a court order.
Alex Watts : If they refuse then you can see a local solciotor who can write and ask them to stop, otherwise you will seek a court ordrt.
Alex Watts : If they refuse then you can issue proceedings. You will need to complete forms n1
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : And n16a
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : The court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to grant an Injunction.
Alex Watts : If contested the court may give directions and set the matter down for a final hearing.
Alex Watts : If granted and breached then the residents can be warned, fined or sent to prison
Alex Watts : This is because it is contempt of court to ignore a court order.
Alex Watts : You are likely to need a solicitor at the final hearing as this is a court you should have solicitor to present your case.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-jbkkybgz- :

I've been talking to the fire service today and using a communal area and main fire escape as storage is against fire regulations. As such do I have to go to a solicitor still?

Alex Watts : Yes because the effect is likely to be the same, a court order if they refuse
Alex Watts : But you don't have to, you could represent yourself.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions