Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have recently started work on an in-house computer application

I have recently started work on an in-house computer application for a company. Specific members of staff use it to update a database online. It is not visible to anyone outside the company but some people within the company need to view data in the application even though they don't have the rights to edit it.
My question is whether it is a legal requirement to make the application accessible for people with disabilities (as it would be if it was a website) i.e. if someone, for example, can't use a mouse, would it be a requirement that they still are able to use the application to update the database just using the keyboard? If not, is it still a requirement that they would be able to view the data in the application even if they can't edit it.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Has the company who has engaged you asked for it to be accessible in this way?

Customer:

No but I feel it is my responsibility to let them know if it is a legal requirement.

taratill :

will the application be used by members of the public?

Customer:

No

taratill :

Ok thank you that clarifies matters. If the application is only for the use of employees then it is not a legal requirement that it is accessible as the obligations under the Equality Act to ensure that it is accessible are only for services to the public. However, if the employer employs a disabled employer it may need to make reasonable adjustments to assist that employee, with specific needs, to use an application. If this occurs modifications may need to be made. It may be worth mentioning this to the person engaging you to do this. Particularly if you can easily address any future accessibility issues.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask.

taratill :

If I have answered your question please do take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

Please can I confirm with you for my future reference. Would the same answer apply if the in-house computer application was to be used inside a public sector body rather than inside a private company? I assume it would if the application isn't to be used by the public?

Please let me know if I need to submit another question from the start.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
This is slightly a different situation as a public authority employer has different obligations towards the employee as european directives have direct affect. I would suggest in this circumstances it would have to be accessible and you should raise this with the employer in advance.