75100385

If I am a defendant and I send a settlement before court proceedings

If I am a defendant and I send a settlement before court proceedings have started am I expected to pay the claimants legal fees
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : If you pay without admission of liability then the court proceedings will just be about costs.
Alex Watts : The normal rule is the party that settles pays the other sides costs
Alex Watts : So if you pay the court hearing will just be to detemine costs and nothing else.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Customer: If there is no court hearing as I planning to settle before any court papers have been issued am I expected to pay his legal costs, I have received about 10 letters from his solicitor which I have replied to and his solicitor has sent over draft particulars of claim.
Alex Watts : In that case no.
Alex Watts : you are not expectd to pay costs, but they could try and issue proceedings just on the costs element
Alex Watts : Is that ok?
Customer: Thank you Alex you have been really helpful