29905560

Hi there, Ex client to our company is harassing our business

Hi there,
Ex client to our company is harassing our business online by posting negative comments.
I would like to have a case against him. What are the next steps?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you show that the comments they make are untruthful? Do you know how your business has been damaged as a result?

Customer:

It is difficult to show for the comment it has been untruthful. We provide cleaning services, and cleaner has been blamed she has not locked the door, broke the lid of face cream and has not mopped the floors properly etc.. These comments are difficult to be proved by either of the parties. We have taken statement form the cleaner and she disagree with the comments made by the ex client. Also the cleaner has been told to do the laundry, which she did. Turns out there has been a wool sweater in the laundry bin - clearly marked dry clean only. We have never been informed on this practices at client's home. I believe he got frustrated after we have refused to cover the damage for the sweater and he started to post negative reviews online about us. Yes, business suffered as our bespoke 5star rating is now going down.

Ben Jones :

ok thanks let me get my response ready please

Customer:

Thank you, Ben!

Ben Jones :

If someone is making false comments about another, that could amount to defamation or to malicious falsehood. These are two separate claims that can be made in order to seek compensation for losses or damage suffered as a result of the comments or to seek a court injunction to prevent the further posting of similar comments.

The issue is that these claims, especially the one for defamation, can be very expensive to pursue and in the end you are likely to spend more money on that, than what you may have suffered in damages. So instead of jumping straight for legal action, you should consider trying to resolve this directly with the other party.

The best way to do this is to contact them formally in writing, advising them of what their actions amount to and pointing out the false claims they have made. For example, you should make it clear that they are making unsubstantiated comments about your business, many of which are actually false and that their actions amount to defamation and/or malicious falsehood. Request that they remove any comments made to date and refrain from making further similar comments in the future and that failure to do so would leave you with no other option but to issue legal proceedings to seek compensation for damages incurred by the business as a result of their comments and/or to seek e court injunction preventing them from making any such comments again.

The threat of doing so could kick some sense into them as they would like to avoid being on the receiving end of legal action so try that as a first step. If it does not work and they continue making such comments then you can consider going down the legal route, although you would need to have an estimate of the damage that these comments have caused the business. You would then be making a claim for compensation to that amount, something you can make online via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. You could even start the claim which will notify them that formal legal action has started and that could again prompt them to reconsider their position. You can discontinue the claim at any time so again you can use that as a way to try and make them stop, although you will lose any court fees you have paid to start the claim, so try the ‘free’ direct letter option first.

Customer:

Many thanks for this reply, Ben.

Customer:

They have been asked on this, we can try and ask them again. In case we decide to go ahead with the legal actions, could we use your service and in this regard could you let us know your rates?

Ben Jones :

Unfortunately we cannot act for clients as we are only an online Q&A service. However, you do not necessarily need a lawyer to act for you on this and many people decide to pursue the claims themselves. Especially if your claim is below £10,000 it will go ion the small claims court which is designed for unrepresented parties to keep the costs down

Customer:

Thank you very very much, Ben. Appreciate very much your attention and helpful advise!

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best

Customer:

all the best, Ben!

Ben Jones :