12826847

I was interviewed under caution last week about vehicle brake

Customer Question

I was interviewed under caution last week about vehicle brake ins, in august 31st. The location of the crimes iv never been before, but driven past, as I live about 25 miles away from the crime spot which is Hykeham, I live in tattershall. I didn't have my free solicitor as Iv never been in this situation before and didn't know what to do. I don't know anyone in hykeham nor have friends in hykeham, iv only been in tattershall since June 2013 as I work on a holiday resort as a manager. The evidence they found in one of the vehicles was a now 77 cd insert cover, iv never owned one of these CDs, and it came out in 2010. Working in various places around the country since 2010 in pubs and holiday parks, my prints were on this cover. Just so you know they have my prints on record from drink driving many years ago. Iv worked all my life and not committed any other crimes, I'm 37 and spend a lot of time at work and relaxing in the evenings. I worry at the best of times but being in this situation is affecting me physically and mentally not knowing what will happen. The officer at the interview told me not to worry, it was to eliminate people from their enquiries. No other evidence was found linked to me. I fear being accused of a crime I have never committed, I don't take drugs, I don't smoke and I very rarely go out drinking. I fear not having a free solicitor with me as left me in a weak situation. I spoke to my boss who spoke to his friends who are in the police force who deal with murders, drug crimes etc.. They said not to worry as it is weak evidence and that their custody Sargent wouldn't even entertain it. This doesn't help me not knowing what will happen.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically what iv written Jo, I'm worried of being accused of a crime I haven't committed, what iv written is what as happened so far. Do I need to worry? And can they take it to court based on a cd cover that has been out since 2010? The area where the crimes were committed iv never been and I had to google to see where it was. Iv never committed a crime.
Yes, it is possible that could happen. You certainly wouldn't be the first innocent person to be charged and sent to court.
It depends what the evidence is. If this is fingerprint on a CD cover that was found at the scene then that probably isn't the best evidence. A CD cover is a moveable object so it doesn't prove that you were there but it does really demand an explanation for how your prints could have been there.
If the only link is a print on a CD cover then you are not likely to be charged on that basis alone.
If there are 77 offences though then there should be an opportunity for alibi for at least one of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the only evidence was the cd cover insert, the cd came out in 2010. No prints of mine were anywhere else, that's because I wasnt there, iv never been to the area the crime was committed. Would the officer let me know if they weren't going to take any further action?
Yes, usually they won't ask you to attend the bail back date if they intend taking no further action.
Prints on a moveable object at a scene isnt' very good evidence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Jo,
I haven't heard from the police in 3 weeks since I was interviewed at the police station till today when they phoned my work. They wanted the CCTV of the exit and entrance to the holiday park where I work, but it doesn't go back to the 31st august.
Can they still send me to court of the crime I have mentioned, based on the only evidence they have is a music cd insert cover? And me not being in the area where the crime was committed?
Yes, they could.
Whether it would be enough to convict is another matter.