13262538

My civil partner and I are on the verge of splitting up. We

My civil partner and I are on the verge of splitting up. We have a 6yr old adopted son. My parter wants to leave, but will just not say it, or that the relationship is over. Does it have any legal bearing in the future as to who finally says the words 'its' over'. I want him to leave, he wants to leave, but we're stuck in limbo. I want him to say it's over but am getting to the point that it needs to be said. Will it affect me and my son if I tell him it's over, or to leave??
Thanks, Michael
Have you discussed and decided how the care of the child will be shared between you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

I work from home and will become main carer (I am at the moment) and our son will live with me. I will, hopefully, in time buy my partner out of the house but for the moment, just want to know how it affects my son and myself starting the ball rolling and having one of us saying the final 'it's time to split' speech. If I say it, to get it said, am I compromising mine and my son's future security?

Thanks Michael.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare, did you get my response to your questions? Just checking as the website seems to only sometimes contact me.

Best wishes, Michael

My apologies for the delay
In fact it does not matter who makes the decision and says the words - indeed even the actual reasons are not relevant.
What is important is that you and your partner are able to discuss how to manage the separation in a way that places your sons needs at the centre of the negotiations.
This can be done using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details