Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

my mother died leaving no will. Approx. 4 years prior to her

my mother died leaving no will. Approx. 4 years prior to her death she signed her dwelling house over to my brother. who died the year before my mother. subsequently my sister-in-law & niece inherited the house. My question is who is liable to pay funeral expenses? My mother died with no will. She did have an account in credit union, a joint a/c in her own name & mine
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am sorry to hear of your loss.
As your Mother's property was transferred during her lifetime, it does not form part of her Estate. As regards ***** ***** account with you, the monies in this account automatically pass to you and again "her share" in this account does not form part of her Estate.
Therefore any monies your Mother left in her credit union account will need to be used to pay for the funeral.
I hope this answers your question and sets out the legal position to you.
Kind Regards
AL