Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

I was made bankrupt in 2010 and discharged december 2011, this

I was made bankrupt in 2010 and discharged december 2011, this month I had a Ppi repayment which was sent to the official receivers who have kept it, is this correct or can I appeal this decision?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to the site. My name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question. Could you please tell me do the PPI monies relate to a financial product which was in existence before bankruptcy? Also, was there a debt on this financial product which was wiped off in the bankruptcy? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes to both of these questions

Expert:  Max Lowry replied 2 years ago.
Thank kindly for the confirmation.
The legal position is that the Official Receiver is entitled to keep the money. The government decided a few years ago that such awards must fall in the bankruptcy. As the payments towards the PPI would have contributed to your debts which lead to your bankruptcy the government said any awards must be used to pay your creditors. Also, because the the financial product was in existence before bankruptcy and the award relates to that product it follows that it must stay in the bankruptcy.
I'm afraid to say that if you appealed this you would not be successful.
Please let me know if I can clarify anything.