75100385

I would like to understand how I can proceed with a car related

I would like to understand how I can proceed with a car related situation. 2 years ago I had someone take my car to do some insurance work on it and also some extra work to bring the car, which is a Classic Sunbeam Alpine to a good standard. He took the car from Blackpool to Yorkshire and has done some but not very much work on it. I try to contact him to get updates and have very little success. I would like to know what I'm entitled to do to get my car back, please
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Have you asked for the vehicle back please?

Customer:

Not as yet as I was not sure how to proceed and I have fond it difficult to contact him

Customer:

As I mentioned the only person I have been able to contact is his colleague Alec Hastie

Customer:

Alec has said to me that he is very disappointed for me and says that I should have taken it back a while ago, but the vehicle is not taxed or mot'd and is undriveable

Alex Watts :

Have you spoken to the insurance company if they were paying for it?

Customer:

The insurance company have said that it is a problem I must resolve as it was my decision to take the vehicle to him.

Alex Watts :

Oh, you picked the garage?

Customer:

It is a classic car and having other classic cars I have found to my expense that you have to go to people who have expertise in classics to get a good standard of work done

Customer:

Yes

Alex Watts :

You want the work done but quickly though, right?

Customer:

I had spoken to ***** ***** on many occasions re the car and he gave me the impression that he was very clued up on classics as he had a couple of his own and when I went to his workshop I saw several others that he was working on

Customer:

I wanted the work done but I was not expecting to wait 2 years to get very little done and then stone walled when trying to contact him

Alex Watts :

Ok - what you need to do is write and ask the work to be completed within 14 days or you will seek a Court order.

Alex Watts :

Send it recorded delivery and make sure you keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If he then refuses to deliver it up then you need to issue proceedings for 'Delivery up' of the vehicl.e

Alex Watts :

You would need to complete form N1

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

The Court will issue a claim and the claim form will be sent to the Defendant.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make an order to deliver up the car.

Alex Watts :

If the garage does not then they will be in contempt of Court and could be warned, fined, or sent to prison

Alex Watts :

Customer:

What will I need as proof of ownership of the car and any other documents? Also if the work is not completed can he charge me for any works done? Also is this a guarantee that I will get my car back?

Alex Watts :

No, because I assume that is not in dispute

Customer:

Sorry, but no to which part or parts of my question?

Alex Watts :

Proof of ownership etc

Customer:

Can he charge me for part works done if not completed?

Alex Watts :

If not complete then no

Customer:

Thankyou for all your help. If I need to contact you for further advice with this matter, is there some pin number or other means of being directed to you?

Alex Watts :

You can post any new question and start: For Alex W

Alex Watts :

Then it gets to me

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today?

Customer:

Thankyou again. No there is nothing else just at the moment.

Alex Watts :

Great, if I could ask you to rate my answer before you go - the button should be at the bottom

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply