LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Can I complain about the siting of a newly built 3 storey care

Customer Question

Can I complain about the siting of a newly built 3 storey care home next to my bungalow that affects my daylight and privacy
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to answer this.

Customer:

In what way has you daylight and privacy been affected? What was on the site before the care home was built.

JACUSTOMER-f9vr15kv- :

the back of the house is now very dark even on bright day. There are windows on all three storeys the side of the new building facing my property. they say they will be occluded glass, but I have no guarantees.

JACUSTOMER-f9vr15kv- :

The site was the HQ of the Scouts, with a club house at the far end and playing fields and a parking area at my end of the land

JACUSTOMER-f9vr15kv- :

It was ridiculous to ask me to assess your service as you just asked me a question!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am waiting for an answer now that I have given additional info

Thankyou for that I assume the old buildings wee single storey. I am at court now. I do not know when I will finish but I will answer later today
As far as the light is concerned there is a limited right to light. Generally you would need to object before the development takes place and it will be difficult to anything to do anything about it now. This link will take you to authoritive information about rigths to light from RICS, http://www.rics.org/Global/RICS-consumer-guide-Right-to-light.pdf,
As far as becoming potentially overlooked there is no such thing as a right to privacy I am afraid.