31090051

I am one of two executors of a will of a deceased lady who

I am one of two executors of a will of a deceased lady who left her oldish Bentley to her son. The car has a Personal Number Plate possibly worth £20,000 whereas the car is probably worth £8500. THe solicitor that the executors appointed to assist in the winding up of the estate has taken the line that the son should only inherit the car not the number plate as in her will, the lady stated...."I leave my Bentley motor car to my son". The solicitor thinks that the number plate should be put into a specialist auction. The son is aggrieved at this as he is much more interested in keeping, what was originally his late father's plate which has been in the family for many years. As executors, is it our decision as to whether or not the son gets the car plus the number plate?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is the executors have to take the decision. The solicitor is simply an agent and is subject to the executors instructions.
For what it is worth, I disagree with the solicitor. As the number plate is registered to that vehicle, the numberplate is part of the vehicle. It is also very unlikely that his mother would not have wanted the son to have the numberplate with the car, especially as it has been in the family for so long.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the response which is comforting to know that we, as the executors, are correct in our thoughts in this matter.

Regards,

Derek