75100385

Under UK guarantee law is the retailer the first point of contact

Under UK guarantee law is the retailer the first point of contact to honour the guarantee if the item is proved defective within the manufacturer's warranty period, in this case 2 years? Please can you quote the relevant Act.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

There is no Act as this is a matter of contract law, which is common law.

Alex Watts :

But in short if there is a fault the first port of call is the person you contracted with to purchase it

Alex Watts :

I assume in this case Vodafone.

Alex Watts :

Therefore if there is a 2 year manufacturer warranty it is for Vodafone to sort it out with the manufacturer, not you.

Alex Watts :

Clearly if it is more than 6 months old you can't demand a replacement or refund, you can only settle for a repair

Alex Watts :

But Vodafone would sort that out with the manufacturer.

Alex Watts :

But there is no Act to quote as contract law is not prescribed by legislation

Alex Watts :

Customer:

What about The Sale of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002?

Customer:

Sorry about the delay in replying, but somebody called while talking to your help centre when, apparently my email address would not be accepted. How have I got this far when I do not have any password? I've lost faith in this process, so please cancel my subscription!

Customer:

Nothin personal Alex it's the system!

Alex Watts :

Are you online as you rated bad service?

Customer:

Yes, see reason above.

Alex Watts :

Do you still need help?

Customer:

Well it's now a technical issue with the site. I lost faith when call centre told me they are in the Philippines! I could not complete the registration process, because it said my email address was already being used by ano, but here I am using the system, but no password ***** - bizarre!

Alex Watts :

They are based in the USA but as a UK expert I am over here

Alex Watts :

The The Sale of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 is nothing to do with contract law.

Alex Watts :

You have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act - not fit for purpose and merchantable quality

Alex Watts :

But if it is over 6 months then you cant reject goods - its too late at that point

Alex Watts :

So you can accept a repair or replacement but they only have to offer you a repair

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer:

Yes thank you and I'll revise my rating, if you answer how I get my password/registration sorted, please. I can't get anywhere online with it as it will not accept my email address. Sorry as this should not be your concern!

Alex Watts :

As login issues, as an expert I have no access whatsoever to that. I can only see questions and answer them - nothing else.

Alex Watts :

Might I ask you to email customer services to resolve that issue?

Alex Watts :

I would help you if I had access but sadly I do not

Customer:

Yes - understood and my regrets for the hassle to you.

Alex Watts :

No need to apologise - I understand that it can be frustrating.

Alex Watts :

I will also email the moderator to make them aware of your concerns.

Customer:

Thanks - goodbye x

Alex Watts :

But if I could invite you to re-rate my answer before you go today - thank you

Customer:

Have already