29905560

Can a employer tell you you can't have certain days off for

Can a employer tell you you can't have certain days off for child care if it's not in your contract ,I look after my granddaughter on my days off so my daughter can work but they now say she can't have the days I'm off
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have they provided any reasons for refusing the request for days off?

Customer: Hello Ben they said because she is part time she has to cover when full time staff want the days off.
Ben Jones :

Thanks and are we talking about days off taken as holidays?

Customer: No just days off
Ben Jones :

What does the contract say about the days you are supposed to be working?

Customer: She said they wouldn't put certain days off in her contract
Ben Jones :

ok but is she contracted to work specific days, what is the arrangement around her actual working days?

Customer: No it was just an arrangement she had with her manager but she has moved to a new shop with a new manager .
Ben Jones :

If the contract does not specify any days that she must be working or that she can have off then it would generally be left to the employer to decide on what days the employee works. So if she is requesting specific days off but that is not covered by her contract then it is possible for the employer to reject this request because the contract will specify exactly what is and is not allowed.

However, she is able to make a formal request for flexible working as every employee has this right. It means that if it is accepted she can arrange to have certain days off or agree to any other changes that will allow her to work more flexibly.

You can find more details on this right and on how to apply for it here:

https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working/overview

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer: Thank you Ben you have been a great help .
Ben Jones :

you are welcome