UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Drink driving/naturalisation

Hi I have a question regarding my application for naturalization, i been caught drink driving few days ago and have court on 19th of November, do you think it really will effect my application? Shall i apply before court or after?

how long it takes for charge to appear in the system? Will it be there for ever?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear about your incident. You will need to declare this whether you apply before or after the court hearing. If you are convicted by the court, you will not be eligible to be naturalised as a British Citizen for 3 years from the date of your conviction.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Its my first offense and I am 24 years old been living in UK for 12 years. When you say convicted by the court do you mean prison sentence?

May I also find out how long it takes to receive the application for naturalization back?

Why you said 3 years? does not it depend on what sort of sentence you get in court?

Convicted means being found guilty by the court and drink driving is a non custodial offence for which there is a 3 year ban for naturalisation.
It can take about 6 months for naturalisation applications to be processed.
All the best please leave feedback