12826847

charged with theft and handling stolen goods

Customer Question

I have just been charged with theft and handling stolen goods it's my first offence but was planned. The officer said she would be contacting the stores where I stole the items and would investgate. I am deeply ashamed I have a shopping addiction and started to steal as became massively in deBT. Police  officers recovered 13 stolen purse from my home. I declined the offer of a solicitor.  will it go to court

Is there any reason you think it might not.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't see how you have in anyway answered my question.

No, I haven't.
Its an information request.
I need to know if there is any reason you think it won't go to court? If you had a solicitor then it might not but that didn't happen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh sorry didn't understand what you were saying.

Do you know from similar situations if it Is it likely to go to court. The police officer said she would have cautioned me but it was 2 offences so she couldn't. She said she would look into it and let me know what was going on. The officers who arrested me suggested in the back of the car it would be better nto to get a solicitor I stupidly believed them

Yes, it will go to court.
A caution may have been available. It is a nonsense to say that you cannot be cautioned for two offences at once.
However, that is water under the bridge now because the decision has been made to charge. A solicitor would have negotiated it with the police but there is nothing we can do about that now.
I suppose you could ask CPS at court to ask the court to refer the matter back to the police for consideration of a caution. In fairness, it doesn't really make much difference from the point of view of police statistics whether you are charged or cautioned so there might not be huge opposition.