12826847

I have been charged with Harassment due to sending many txt

Customer Question

I have been charged with Harassment due to sending many txt messages to my ex partner and have read that the sentence that I could face is possibly up to 12 weeks custody. If I explain all the details around the case is it possible to get a view as to whether I will be jailed or not.
Stephen
Is this a first offence?
How many texts ?
Were they abusive?
Was she responding?
I am offline for a couple of hours now but I will pick up later this morning. There is no need to sit online. You will get an email when I respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have sent you a detailed summary of the situation for your perusal and advice.

Stephen

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I have sent a synopsis of the situation so you're more well informed and also included this in this reply.

This is the first offence, however, the police were keeping a log of events back in 2012 but nothing ever came of it.

The messages apart from 1 or 2 were not offensive.

I would guess about 50 txts over a 3 week period.

She occasionally responded.

Synopsis of situation

I had a 10 year relationship with my ex-partner but have now been split up for around 4 years; also we have 3 young children with her, aged 12, 8 and 6. Generally our relationship is positive as this is what is best for the children and I religiously pay £600 maintenance ever month. I am a very loving caring father and I have my children ever weekend overnight.

Between 3rd Oct and 20th Oct I sent about 50 txt messages to my ex partner as I had found out she was in a relationship and had been for around 6 months. Many of the messages were somewhat cryptic so probably didn’t mean much to her, however, some of them were a little more harsh….e.g. “You and your new fella Paul said you weren’t going to introduce each other to the children….MAKE SURE IT STAYS THAT WAY”

In another message which I have no recollection of sending as I was intoxicated, I sent a picture of me holding a knife. I wasn’t threatening her in anyway it was another message to let her know that I could possible harm myself as I had sent 2 or 3 messages suggesting suicide but always followed up saying I wouldn’t ever do that. I also sent this email to her after I found out about the picture message with a knife…Bye way I swear that the knife pictures have worried me as I don't have any recollection of ever sending them but obviously I did. Sorry.

Additionally, in her statement to the police she mentions an incident that happened outside her house in Aug 2012 and within her statement she claims that I had threatened her with a knife. There were no charges, court case or anything to do with this incident whatsoever. This statement worries me immensely. She also claims that I have said she needs to be careful as where I live now I know some seriously bad people who have access to guns and other weapons. This is totally untrue as although I have told her there are many people in my neighbourhood known to the police I have never made any threats whatsoever towards her.

Possibly, some mitigating circumstances are that in Sept 2014 my father passed away very traumatically. My brother would have turned 50 years of age but unfortunately committed suicide 20+years ago. I also have a mental illness…bi-polar disorder for which I am under Merseyside mental health team.

I know my behaviour is wrong and have also started to see a psychotherapist to help deal with my emotions / feelings following breakdown of my relationship. As mentioned , the break-up happened around 4 years ago but I'm still struggling to come to terms with it so am now seeking some professional help.

I don’t have any criminal record apart from a caution for cocaine possession in Feb 2012. Based upon all of this I am after some professional advice if I am likely or not to receive a custodial sentence.

I fully appreciate you have no control over this but just wanted a professional opinion as to whether I am likely to be sent to prison for up to 12 weeks.

Have you told the police about your mitigation yet? If not, please do not. They will just say it makes you more dangerous.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not specifically advised the courts about my mitigating circumstances. From my document explaining the circumstances / background all I need to know based on your professional opinion is if I am going to fce a custodial sentence. Again I will stress that I know you havent got a crystal ball but would like your professional opinion if I am going to jail ?

What I need to know is whether you have told the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Told the police what specifically ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I have told the police my father has died recently and that I have bi-polar disorder

Ok. It is too late to do anything about that now.
If you give me 10 mins I will dictate an answer.
Thanks for the information and the time.
I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.
Whichever way you look at this, 50 texts in one weekend is just too many. That is clearly harassment.
The nature of the texts is also a problem. Sending a text with you holding a knife would be interpreted reasonably as a threat and if you have told them that you have bipolar then its game over I'm afraid. They will be saying you are dangerous and you cannot easily hide from that.
You would normally be facing custody. I think you may avoid it essentially because it is a first offence and usually people do not get custody on a first offence.
You wil certainly get a restraining order I'm afraid.
You are facing a community order appropriate to your issues. Which that would be depends on what probation consider suitable.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

Thanks for your reply.

I was aware that as a minimum I would be facing a restraining order, however, I just wanted a professional opinion if I would be facing a custodial sentence, which as I understand as it's my first offence I probably won't...is that correct ?

Just a point of clarification, the approximately 50 texts were sent between the dates of 3rd - 20th October so over a period of 17 days.

I understand in magistrates court the sentencing is almost always based on the pre-sentencing report conducted by probation service. Could you kindly advise the best strategy when I have the meetings with the probation service to prevent me getting a custodial sentence ?

Many thanks and kind regards.

Stephen

Probably not. You are at risk but probably not.
50 texts with no comparable response is just too much even over 17 days. The nature of the texts are damaging too. With any text conversion one person will have sent more than another but the disproportion is too great here.
You just have to tell probation the truth. There are no strategies. It would probably have been better not to mention bipolar but they will know about that now so there is no point in hiding it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

Many thanks again for your prompt reply and being totally straight with me which is what I wanted. FANTASTIC.

fullly understand you haven't got a crystal ball and the sentencing on the day will be what the magistrates decide.

Only couple more questions and then we are done.

At the sentencing hearing how do I challenge some inaccuracies in my ex partners statement, these being:-

1. Additionally, in her statement to the police she mentions an incident that happened outside her house in Aug 2012 and within her statement she claims that I had threatened her with a knife. There were no charges, court case or anything to do with this incident whatsoever. This statement worries me immensely.

2. She also claims that I have said she needs to be careful as where I live now I know some seriously bad people who have access to guns and other weapons. This is totally untrue as although I have told her there are many people in my neighbourhood known to the police I have never made any threats whatsoever towards her.

Stephen

1 If that isn't part of the charge then it shouldn't be before the court. If that were capable of proof then they would have brought other charges than harassment.
2 You can always just deny that in mitigation. That is the type of twaddle that women always come out with in S9 statements. I don't know if they feel it is obligatory to lie in these statements. They always over egg the pudding. If I made policy they would all be charged with perverting the course of justice which would teach them fast enough to set down only what is true and can be proven but there you have it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

The 2 inaccuracies in her statement have been read out to the court s they have heard it and no doubt made a judgement about the allegations even though no proof and no police involvement.

ow can this be retracted .....does my solicitor simply say that these comments should be totally ignored as there is no evidence to warrant them and they are Inadmissible in court ?

Many many thanks you have been fantastic.

Cheers

Stephen

Why have they been read to a court?
You havent' been to court yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After arrest I was remanded in custody and appeared before the court the following day. As during interview I was shown many pages of the text messages that I had sent. I decided to plead guilty which I did as I didn't think I had a chance of a not guilty plea.

Thankfully I was given bail even though the prosecution was constantly giving reasons why I should be held in custody. I return to court in 3 weeks for sentencing.

The inaccurate statements were part of ex partners witness statement that the prosecution read out verbatim, so the seed is planted so the question is how to make sure these are not taken into account ?

Cheers

Stephen

The sentencing court won't have that information. That was just relevant to a bail application.
They won't read out her statement to a sentencing court. They would read out the case summary which may or may not contain this but if it does you can mitigate on the basis that it didn't happen.
You cannot make the prosecutor remove this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I have rated your service at the highest level and also sent you a tip....you have been fantastic.

It is almost certain that my ex partner could oppose the restraining order as it would create problems with handing the kids over to me each weekend. How does she oppose the restraining as she probably won't know its in place until after sentencing and I can't contact her due to bail conditions?

Will the same 3 magistrates who were at plea hearing be the same as st sentencing hearing ?

Cheers

Stephen

If she doesn't ask for a restraining order they may not seek one on the first occasion. It is difficult to say because there isn't much point in a report if you don't want a restraining order.
She doesn't oppose the restraining order but she will be told by the police. When it doesn't suit her she will complain about it fast enough, don't you worry. Ostensibly vulnerable, these women have their wits about them well enough in my experience.
Then you can return and ask for it's removal but it is not a good idea. Now you know that she has a tendency to call the police it isn't a good idea to have anything to do with her. Without minimsing the fact that your conduct did amount to harassment, normal women might have ignored it. We all have relationship struggles. We don't all get the police involved in them.
It is very unlikely it will be the same Magistrates.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

Why isn't it a good idea after a period of time to have restraining order removed ?

It would be good not to have anything to do with her, however, I have 3 beautiful children aged 12, 8 and 6 who I have every weekend which is why she may after a period of time want it removed.

It is not the removal of the restraining order. It is the contact with her placing you in a position where she can make more allegations when she can't have what she wants.
Of course she will want it removed. You are a free babysitter. When she has to look after the children and can't go out and get drunk she will wake up and smell the coffee fast enough.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

You are so so on the ball and correct. She has all weekend to herself every weekend and that has been the case for years and she is totally adamant that the night I have them is not changing. She went away to Spain for 4 days at begining of October and I had kids also this week I took kids away to Scotland for 4 days. I have also calculated with her salary, child and working tax credits, family allowance and my £600 maintenance every month she is raking in £31k per year but has recently said she wants another £100 or she is going to CSA and stopping me seeing kids if I don't pay up.....a total joke!

Oh yes, I know what is euphemistically called 'domestic abuse' very well.
she can't stop you seeing the kids whether you pay or not. Just get a court order although you wouldn't get every weekend BUT the practical reality is that she would let you have them every weekend so that she can go off marauding around town centres.
You might want to consider letting her go through CSA. it will take months on end and also it is quite unlikely you would be made to pay this amount of money.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The last thing I want to do is get the courts involved regarding my kids.

Also, the CSA have been replaced by Child Maintenance Service and I have done all the calculations. They take your gross income provided by HMRC and for me with 3 children I would pay maintenance of 9% of this gross figure, however, 1/7th of this is deducted due to a parental shared agreement as I also have the kids overnight. I would only end up paying £464.84. I have done all the calculations as I am totally pissed off with the constant threats of csa

When I wasn't getting paid which was for about 3 months she gave me that much hassle I was drawing the money out of cash machines on credit cards.

Well, then you are better off with CSA.
I am not a family lawyer but if you are paying over £600 and having the children every weekend then clearly it is a bad deal.
What she will do though is refuse contact just before the assessment so that she can pretend she is the main carer.
A contact order would give you back the power in terms of contact. On the other hand though you do face the risk that she will suddenly remember that you have systematically abused her for years. Amazing how they all remember their partners in hoods chanting Satanic verses when they are being taken to court for contact.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

Just tried to rate your answers even though have already done so and received this msg...

There's one more step. You have already paid for an earlier answer you rated in this question-and-answer chain. To rate another answer, you will need to pay an additional £47.

Why do you have to pay for trying to give credit where credit is due?

You need to email customer services about that here***@******.*** as I'm never involved in that side of things.
you have rated already though so there is no need to do anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

I want to thank you again for your fantastic help in educating me on the possible outcome of the sentencing hearing and also explaining parts of the legal system.

I will just have to now worry for 3 weeks wondering if I will be issued a custodial sentence or the preferred restraining order.

MANY THANKS

I don't think you need to worry about a custodial sentence. It isn't going to happen.
All the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

.On reviewing msgs i noticed an error in information I provided about cms calculations. The amount I would pay frlm gross salary is 19% and not 9% as stated in initial email.

Cheers

I

That is likely to be less than £600?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct if I went through Child Maintenance Service (CMS) the figure would be £464.84 !

Basically I am far too soft and generous!

Yes, you are.
Also, the amount of contact you are having would cause the figure to be reduced.
What she will do though is stop you seeing the kids so that it decrease the ostensible contact and increases the payments which she will then spend on alcohol.
If you seek a court order she will probably make allegations that you are a Satan worshipper and a danger to the children and have abused every female that you have ever met all your life and only appear when conjured up by the Devil himself.
All pretty standard when women like her can't have what they want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

Do you think I should mention the following statement when I go to see the probation service or should I not mention it at all ?

1. It was suggested during the trial that the text message I sent my ex-partner of myself holding a knife was threatening, however this would never have been the case as I would never do anything to harm her. The message was sent during my low mood period and whilst I was abusing alcohol an was intoxicated when I sent it. I can only presume that it was just another message indicating how low I must have been during the time I was sending her the text messages. This was probably linked to the other text messages I sent her talking about wanting to commit suicide. Additionally I would never commit suicide or harm myself as it would be totally selfish and I would never do anything like that to my children and my parents have already lost 2 sons zso would never do it to them. Following on from this text message this is the email I sent to my ex-partner….Bye way I swear that the knife pictures have worried me as I don't have any recollection of ever sending them but obviously I did. Sorry. See Appendix 3. For copy of the email.

They are bound to ask about that matter. You can only tell the truth. At least the answer does not aggravate the situation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

We may have a huge problem as I have just remembered that in her witness statement she mentions that at the end of 2011 / 2012 we were not getting along whatsoever.

This led to any disagreement we had about the children she would just slam the front door in my face and have no communication with me whatsoever. Often I tried to resolve the issue as it nearly always something relating to my children and I wanted answers.

Whenever this happened she would always call the police and complain that I was outside the house.

I wondered whether Merseyside police had any information about me on their database so under the Subject Access, Data Protection Act I made an application to see if they held any information about me and they did.

The information I received has statem,ents such as:-

• Shea can be heard in the background saying that he wants to speak to her about the children.

• Verbal argument, no allegations or offences.

• Domestic incident multiple times

• No weapons, court orders or injunctions

• Patrol car attended scene, Shea attended to see the children access denied by female, verbal argument only

• Patrol attended, verbal argument only, no assault occurred.

• Ongoing problems with ex-partner

• Harassment

At no stage whilst this was going on was I cautioned or arrested and no charges were ever brought.

The question and worry I now have is will the CPS prosecution raise these points saying this is the second time Shea has caused distress or fear ???

I'm thinking as it wasn't raised at the plea hearing trial it won't get raised at sentencing.

Yes, they probably will say she has called the police before.
It doesn't add anything to the sentence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Jo,

Please accept my apologies for the amount of questions I have asked and hope you don't mind, but I just want as much information as possible as I'm worried to death about going to jail.

The letter I have received from the courts titled Notice of grant of bail with conditions advising me of:-

• date of next court appearance

• bail conditions

• Cases / charge

I have noticed in the section which is titled CASES that the HARASSMENT WITHOUT VIOLENCE charge is dated 07/10/2014.

However, when in court I was told the offence was over the period 3rd to 20th Oct.

Why is it dated 07/10/2014, is this an error which could make the letter invalid ?

That is probably just a charging error.
They will just amend it when they find it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

Firstly thank you for your fantastic advice thus far.....really helpful.

On review of the magistrates sentencing guidelines I have a concern and am wondering which one of the following could be the starting point.

1. Small number of incidents

2. Constant contact at night, trying to come into

workplace or home, involving others

3. Threatening violence, taking personal photographs,

sending offensive material

I am concerned that a txt msg with me holding a knife might be in the category of 'Threatening violence, taking personal photographs, sending offensive material' ?

Additionally, appreciate you don't have a crystal ball but do you still think I won't be facing custodial sentence.

Stephen

I think it would potentially be considered threatening material.
In truth, it is lucky that it is a S2. They could have charged a S4 harassment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So does that make it point 1, 2 or 3 ?

What is S2 and S4 harassment ?

I think you are at risk of them saying it is the most serious bracket .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

As I'm so pleased with all your help, if I give another 'tip' do you get this money directly as I want to show you how greatful I am for your help ?

Based on all the information I've provided and that I've read that quote:

You may get a community sentence if:-

1. the court thinks you're more likely to stop committing crime than if you go to prison.

2. it's the first time you've committed a crime

3.you have a mental health condition that affects your behaviour.

Do you now think I will get a custodial sentence or community order and restraining order or ????

You don't have to leave a tip. You can ask follow up questions for free.
This has not changed by view on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

I obviously have bail conditions not to contact my ex-partner and for contact with children made vis my brother.

All contact is being made via my brother but what are the legal implications of ex-partner dropping kids off at my house, she stays in car and I stay in house. No contact whatsoever ?

That is perfectly fine.
You are not making contact with her. She is choosing to cut things very near the knuckle but that is a matter for her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

I have been doing a lot of reading about the presentence report the probation service will.

In addition to the points below what are some typical examples to show probation service and courts that I am not going to re-offend again ?

Steps I have put in place already

1. re-engaged with my psychiatrist and CPN for support

2. Now seeing a Gastalt Psychotherapist to help me discuss and resolve and issues I am facing and committed to stay in therapy until issues are resolved

3. Stopped the binge drinking when my mood is low

4. No longer have contact number for ex-partner as all matters concerning children go via my brother

As you are no doubt aware I am extremely interested in my case. Will my solicitor get a copy of the prosecution papers and copy of witness statements?

Yes the papers will be handed over at court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will my solicitor not be able to get them sooner so I can see them beforeI go Iinitial probation meetimg?

Not usually.
But usually the Magistrates adjourn for a pre sentence report so you would be able to see them.
Sometimes they do fast delivery reports which are done on the day although I have always wondered why they call them fast delivery reports. Painfully slow reports would be more accurate. Also, if I had all day to write three pages it would not contain grammar errors and spelling mistakes as the work of probation officers regularly does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure if we have wires crossed Jo.

I am asking if my solicitor will have a copy of:-

1. prosecution papers

2. witness statements

If the answer is yes it would be useful for me to see them before my initial probation meeting on Tue 11th Nov.

Again, please accept my apologies for the constant questions but I am a nervous wreck and worried beyond belief and just trying to understand the legal system.

Stephen

If there is a meeting on the 11th then you must have been to court?
If so, the papers should have been handed either to you or your solicitor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

As mentioned previously:-

After arrest I was remanded in custody and appeared before the court the following day. During interview I was shown many pages of the text messages that I had sent so I decided to plead guilty which I did as I didn't think I had a chance of a not guilty plea.

I am now on bail and appear before the court on 19th Nov for sentencing but sure this will be adjourned as they will not have the medical / mental health report.

From what you are saying my solicitor will have a copy of the prosecution papers and witness statements ???

If he attended then he would have been given advance information at the time of first appearance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Jo,

I will request a copy of all documentation on Monday from my solicitor so I am fully informed prior to seeing Probation Service on Tuesday.

Stephen

Ok. Good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

I cannot thank you enough and if your managers etc want to follow up I am willing to discuss the fantastic service you have provided. Mobile: 07799 343 349

I have now spent days researching as much as I can about the court process, probation service, pre-sentencing report, the conviction - harassment without violence but I'm not continuing on this path as it's driving me mad.

I have one final question for you and then it's over.

Could you kindly provide me with a list of things which will assist at my initial probation meeting for them to prepare my pre-sentencing report.

Not sure if the following list is advisable or not ???

CV

Army record

References

Emails showing steps I have taken to prevent me from re-offending; e.g. emails to:-

1. Merseycare Mental Health to access support from psychiatrist and CPN

2. Voluntary sessions with psychotherapist to held deal with emotions

3. Emails sent to ex-partner (obviously prior to arrest and conviction) letting her know that I am sorry and would never ever harm her

Thanks for the points you have made.
But you shouldn't really be providing anything at all to Probation. They just won't have an interest in them. The Army record will probably count against you as far as Probation go because they will say it renders you more dangerous. The Court will not agree with that because generally Courts are not run by mad feminists who are more interested in the rights of malingering women than the welfare of the country.
As I have explained above, you do not prepare for Probation interviews. You just attend and tell the truth.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Hope all is good with you.

As you have been so involved with my case thought I would drop you a line to let you know how my probation meeting went today.

Had meeting with probation today. The probation officer said he had never met anyone with an understanding of the process or who was as prepared and well informed of the process than me....which was good.

He said he would be recommending a low level community order, tagged or fine along with meeting with probation service on a weekly .

If you want I will let yo know what sentence I get which will be on 19th Nov.

Again, thank you so much for your helpand advice.

Cheers.

Stephenbasis.

Good to hear from you. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

I have just started a new relationship which will be so beneficial in getting over my ex-partner. A curfew were I will be on tag would be such a detriment to me moving on.

How do I raise this during my sentencing hearing ?

Cheers

Stephen

I really think you need to be careful about that. In fairness, a curfew is better than custody.
Also, you don't want them forming the view that she is in danger as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

You were exactly correct, thankfully didn't get custodial sentence.

I got at sentencing hearing today:-

• restraining order for 2 years

• £295 fines

• 100 hours community service

• Building better relations course

Again thanks for all your help Jo very much appreciated.

Stephen

No problem.
Glad it worked out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I have a restraining order preventing me entering into ex partners road. However, she is insisting I drop the children off at her address in the said road as she is away for the weekend. Where does put me and also her legally ?

Cheers

Stephen

That would be a breach of the order so don't do it.
It is her problem. She wanted this order so let her live withe consequences which are that she might just have to get up off the sofa, put down her cup of tea and walk to the boundary of the road to collect her children.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo,

I have categorically stated I am going nowhere near her house.

For collecting and returning the children to her every weekend, we have provisionally agreed to meet in car park half way between our houses and kids get out of one car and into the other, no contact whatsoever. Is this breaking the restraining order ?

Also, she tells me via my brother that Liverpool Domestic Violence have advised her that that she doesn't have to do anything in any way to assist me in having access to my children.....how are the arrangements to see the children to work if this is true ?

Cheers

Stephen