UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Is there a legal definition of what constitutes a 'ruin'? This

Customer Question

Is there a legal definition of what constitutes a 'ruin'? This is in relation to its application in planning law. Is there a process to establish something as an acknowledged 'ruin'?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
There is no legal definition of the word "ruin". As a noun, it the word means the physical destruction or disintegration of something or the state of disintegrating or being destroyed.
If the derelict building is in a state of disintegration e.g. It is crumbling away, it is a ruin.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does this therefore mean that a planning authority can declare a property to be a 'ruin' and thereby make it impossible to be renovated? I actually want to remove all buildings on the land except to maintain and prop the frontage to enable its use as an iconic trade mark.

You can apply for planning permission to renovate or rebuild. Just because a building is a ruin does not make it impossible to renovate or rebuild, e.g. See here
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=6036
What you are proposing to do sounds reasonable.
Hope this helps