LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I live in a terraced house with a chimney either side. We recently

Customer Question

I live in a terraced house with a chimney either side. We recently took down and re built one chimney stack which seves the flue from our living room and paid in full because our builder said that the stack was our responsibility . We now have a damp area in our attic bedroom on the other side of our house and naturally thought that the responsibility lay with our neighbour. Our builder says it is their responsibility whilst our neighbour's builder says it is a shared responsibility? Who is correct and if it is shared would we be able to claim half the money back for the first chimney stack?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this. Was this a party wall situation or is your stack contained within the boundaries of your property and not part of a party wall? Why do the builders take differing views?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The damp area has appeared inside our attic bedroom which is according to both builders as a result of damage to the stack which serves our neighbours fireplace.We do not have any use of the chimney stack in question because our fireplace is served by the stack which has already been renovated by us at the other side of our house.
If there is disrepair to your neighbour's chimney stack whicc is causing a damp problem in your home then unless it has been caused by the work you did or it is a problem with a shred wall/ on the boundary then it would normally be the neighbour's responsibility to fix it.