12826847

A property I am selling was built in 1967 as an office block.

Customer Question

A property I am selling was built in 1967 as an office block. It was converted into apartments for residential use in 2004 and now I am informed that it may contain alumina cement and the purchasers bank is asking for conifmation or otherwise that this is so? No details are available as to if this may be true and in order to sell the property I require to know what Insurance is available to cover problems in the future?
There is no insurance available for this that I am aware of what you are going to need to do is get a structural engineer to take samples of the structure and have it analysed to prove that there is no high alumina cement in the building.
Once you have that report you will then be in a position to move the whole matter forward.
The default situation is that lenders valuers will always say that it may have high alumina cement (or any other problem) and that a buyer should carry out further investigations.
In circumstances like this, the buyer will not carry out the investigations but will insist that the seller does them and indemnifies the buyer in the event that the report of the investigations is defective.