LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi. Someone I know does occasional work for cash in hand and

Hi. Someone I know does occasional work for cash in hand and does not declare this to HMRC. I have previously had a good relationship with this person. However, they have recently upset my partner, causing her distress. Because of this I have told this person that I may report them to HMRC for tax evasion. This person has now threatened me that she will report me to the police for harassement if I do so. Does she have a right to do this?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience I will try to answer your question.

LondonlawyerJ :

It is not harassment to report someone to the police/HMRC for crimes they have committed. However you must avoid threatening to report them and demanding they do something to avoid being reported. This could amount to blackmail which is a serious criminal offence.

Customer: I have not asked this person to do anything. I have only stated that I may report them to HMRC. This was done in a fit of anger and I have since withdrawn this statement.
LondonlawyerJ :

That is not harassment. There is no risk of a valid complaint being made. It is highly unlikely that the person concerned would take the risk of reporting you and inviting scrutiny of their own affairs. I was just warning you of a line you must not cross.

Customer: Thank you for your help.