12826847

An elderly client does not have a bank account nor any photographic

Customer Question

An elderly client does not have a bank account nor any photographic ID. What evidence of ID can we request to be compliant with our obligations under anti money laundering regulations?
There is no statutory definition of what is needed. Usually, it is one form of photographic evidence of identity and 1 or 2 forms of evidence of residency such as utility bills.
A birth certificate is accepted by some people (certainly not the Law Society) but not by others.
All you can do is get together as much other evidence as you have is including correspondence in respect of pension and anything from any government bodies or the local authority.
A council tax bill is particularly useful. In cases like this, the only thing you can do is gather as much other information as you can because it photographic ID does not exist, you cannot conjure it out of midair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great thanks Jo - thank you for being so thorough!

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/