UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

We have a commercial dispute with a Chinese company who have

Customer Question

We have a commercial dispute with a Chinese company who have supplied us with goods (dresses) that did not meet specification, were poor quality, incorrect sizes and late. In order that we do not let down our customers, we - upon request of the Chinese company - made good (where we could) the substantial issues at much cost to us. We have lost stockists because of these quality issues and have lost business and it has caused damage to our reputation because of this. We have consistently advised the Chinese company that we want our costs returned. They have issued us with an invoice and we have advised that we will calculate our actual costs and damages and take this from the invoice. We have also advised that if our loss exceeds the invoice (which if we take into account lost business, it will), then we will expect compensation from them. they refuse this and have issued a debt collection agency onto us. We want to send a notification to the debt collection agency to say we do not acknowledge this debt and that it is in dispute, and determine best next steps. The invoice value is just over £23,000.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

What is your question please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We want to understand whether we should send a cease and desist letter to this UK debt collection agency as we do not acknowledge this debt given we are in dispute with regards ***** ***** quality of the products provided (all of which is verifiable and which the chinese company is well aware) and due to the costs and damages we have incurred in rectifying (at their request); and we want to understand what our next steps are.

Yes, you may respond to the debt collector that you dispute the debt and that infact you have a counterclaim against their principal for lost business, faulty goods etc.

The next step is to see if the debt collector takes legal action against you, if they do so, you may defend their claim in court and file a counterclaim against them and the principle for your money.

If they do not do anything, you may file your own claim in court here against the supplier if they have assets here, or file a claim against them in China if they do not have any assets in the UK.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks. I will respond to the debt collector accordingly and request that they cease and desist their contact. Should I specifically say that we do not acknowledge this debt?

Yes, you may mention that you do not acknowledge the debt and that they should stop further contact with you otherwise you will see it as harassment.

All the best