How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We have a commercial dispute with a Chinese company who have

Customer Question

We have a commercial dispute with a Chinese company who have supplied us with goods (dresses) that did not meet specification, were poor quality, incorrect sizes and late. In order that we do not let down our customers, we - upon request of the Chinese company - made good (where we could) the substantial issues at much cost to us. We have lost stockists because of these quality issues and have lost business and it has caused damage to our reputation because of this. We have consistently advised the Chinese company that we want our costs returned. They have issued us with an invoice and we have advised that we will calculate our actual costs and damages and take this from the invoice. We have also advised that if our loss exceeds the invoice (which if we take into account lost business, it will), then we will expect compensation from them. they refuse this and have issued a debt collection agency onto us. We want to send a notification to the debt collection agency to say we do not acknowledge this debt and that it is in dispute, and determine best next steps. The invoice value is just over £23,000.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

What is your question please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


We want to understand whether we should send a cease and desist letter to this UK debt collection agency as we do not acknowledge this debt given we are in dispute with regards ***** ***** quality of the products provided (all of which is verifiable and which the chinese company is well aware) and due to the costs and damages we have incurred in rectifying (at their request); and we want to understand what our next steps are.


Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

Yes, you may respond to the debt collector that you dispute the debt and that infact you have a counterclaim against their principal for lost business, faulty goods etc.

The next step is to see if the debt collector takes legal action against you, if they do so, you may defend their claim in court and file a counterclaim against them and the principle for your money.

If they do not do anything, you may file your own claim in court here against the supplier if they have assets here, or file a claim against them in China if they do not have any assets in the UK.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. I will respond to the debt collector accordingly and request that they cease and desist their contact. Should I specifically say that we do not acknowledge this debt?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you may mention that you do not acknowledge the debt and that they should stop further contact with you otherwise you will see it as harassment.

All the best

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice