UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

We purchased a holiday in 2008 for £5302 to travel to Florida.

Customer Question

We purchased a holiday in 2008 for £5302 to travel to Florida. Befote we travelled the firm went bust. The holiday was ABTA protected. We could not rebook the holiday at the time due to travel dates. I was assured by a local travel agent that my money was secure to book another holiday.I also rang abta who confirmed this. Due to a major family illness we couldn;t travel until this year. I contacted abta who said the file was closed and that they could do nothing! I haven't received any written correspondence on this from abta or any another party until I emailed this year.
I had to put part of the cost of my holiday on my credit card.
I would appreciate your help.
Phil Lewis
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

When in 2008 was this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We paid the balance on the holiday in Feb. We were due to travel in July. The company went bust in May.

I spoke to ABTA in May who confirmed the holiday was protected. We went to our local Thomson to rebook but there was no capacity for the dates we wanted. They also confirmed our money was secure and protected.

Phil Lewis

Unfortunately the problem is that under the Limitation Act 1980, you only have 6 years to pursue your claim and it is now more than 6 years since ABTA confirmed that you were protected.

You are time barried under the statue of limitations to pursue your claim now.

I am sorry but I cannot give you favourable news.