Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My husband died of an accident at work on 07/10/2014, his boss

My husband died of an accident at work on 07/10/2014, his boss has not been in contact with me, he came to his funeral and left right after, I would like to know if I can claim for compensation now or after the coroner's inquest, please help me I have no idea what to do.
Mrs Sharon Walsh
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. I am so sorry for your loss. Do you know if your husband had a death in service or pension scheme through his work? Do you know if the health and safety executive (HSE) are involved in investigating the accident?

Customer:

Yes to both

taratill :

Ok do you have the details of the pension scheme adminstrator. Was the accident the fault of the employer?

Customer:

I have no idea I have been told nothing at all by anyone.

taratill :

Well that is terrible.

taratill :

You need to contact the employer to ask for a copy of your husbands contract of employment and pension scheme details. Once you receive them you need to read them carefully to see what death in service benefit he was entiteld to.

taratill :

It is normally a sum of a particular number of months of salary.

taratill :

It will either be payable by the employer (if applicable) or via the pension scheme administrators.

taratill :

You will need to ask either the employer or the scheme adminstrators to make the appropriate payment in accordance with the applicable scheme.

Customer:

Ok thank you I wil do that.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

taratill :

No problem I think it might be an idea for you to see a local solicitor as you may be able to sue them for damages as well if the accident was the fault of the employer.

taratill :

I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer and do come back to me in the future if you need to. All the best.