Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Dear Sir or Madam, We booked and paid for a room (for a re-union

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam,
We booked and paid for a room (for a re-union of 16 elderly RN Artificers - class of 1949)at Warner Leisure hotel Hungerford, Berkshire - 2 nights with entertainment. On arrival two of the group's rooms had been double booked and occupied. The manageress said that if we accepted a room in the Three Swans Hotel in Hungerford (with free taxis) she would arrange to have our money refunded. We agreed with no hard words . Two weeks after she advised that the refund was delayed and that the money had been reduced due to the meals that we had taken. Again the same story two weeks later a further delay. It is now nearly five weeks since the event.
Please advise on what actions I should take to recover the promised refund.
Many Thanks,
Richard N Boulton.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today, what a pity you had to experience this. Did you have any information about the offered refund in writing at all.

JACUSTOMER-gc6x1u4y- :

Dear *****ny,

JACUSTOMER-gc6x1u4y- :

Thank you for your prompt reply.

JACUSTOMER-gc6x1u4y- :

Yes I have a few emails which I can forward to you.

Customer:

I don't need to see them I just wanted to know if they were in writing from an evidential point of view. Can you quanitfy the exact amount of money they now owe you in pounds and pence?

JACUSTOMER-gc6x1u4y- :

I am 82 years old and not too clever with computers. Can you let me have an email address to forward them to please?

Customer:

Hi I don' t need to see the documents to help you. Can you quantify the loss in pounds and pence?

JACUSTOMER-gc6x1u4y- :

I need to find the email - it was around £450.00

Customer:

Ok once you have found the email you should write to their head office saying that they are in breach of contract, i.e. the agreement they have reached with you and that if they do not refund the amount agreed you will have no alternative but to raise a claim in the small claims court.

Customer:

I would suggest you attach the emails to the letter and keep a copy.

Customer:

You should give them 7 days to pay and state this clearly in the letter.

Customer:

If they still fail to pay you can lodge a money claim online at https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Customer:

I do think though that writing to them in this manner will concentrate the mind and lead them to process the payment through to you quickly.

JACUSTOMER-gc6x1u4y- :

The total paid was £537.50+

Customer:

Ok can you see my above advice about sending them a letter before action and then raising a claim against them if they fail to pay?

Customer:

please let me know if there is anything further you want to know about this?

JACUSTOMER-gc6x1u4y- :

Many Thanks Legal Lady!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear MadamCustomer

I took your advice and sent a recorded delivery letter to Warner Leisure Hotels Head Office saying the they were in breach of contract and that I had no alternative but to go to the small claims court etc.

I am very pleased to advise that three days later I received a cheque which was paid into my bank and finally cleared this morning.

I am very satisfied with your advice.

Many Thanks,

Richard N Boulton

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Oh I am so pleased Richard, thanks for letting me know!
Jenny