UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Best Way to collect a rent debt of £1050 without a contract

I have been paying an Estate Agent rent for a flat my son & his college Colleague have rented. The Colleague was his own Guarantor & paid his deposit but I was my sons Guarantor. The estate agent would not take 2 payments a month so I ended up being the single source of payment to the Estate Agent. Everything was fine until the last 2 months before we terminated the Lease and they both moved out. My Sons Colleague claimed to have had a mix up with the Direct Debit and would pay the 2 outstanding months of rent he had not paid for JUN14 & JUL14 in SEP as per a text I Rceived from him. Since then he has gone to ground , has no intention of paying - the sum is £400 a month so £800.. This does not include his share of a £500 Water Bill I have also paid. He owes me £1050 but I do not have a contract with him - What is the best legal way to recover this debt ? Please

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You do not need a written contract with him as long as there was an arrangement that the rent and bills would be shared equally.
I suggest that you file a court claim against him online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk for the money.
This should prompt him to pay up.
May I help further?