75100385

Hi, I was recently confronted by an old friend on behalf of

Customer Question

Hi, I was recently confronted by an old friend on behalf of a business partner of mine, the business is coming to an end and I was verbally assaulted, suggesting that I had committed fraud and used my business partner to fund my life. I was informed that I had been paid £200,000 by 2 partners and I was going to be reported for a number of fictitious crimes of theft and deception unless I pay £60,000 per partner. The actual total investment of the 2 involved is £71,100 according to bank account records.
The investment was a property bought and developed by 3 adults equally, with equal £35,550 input over 7 years. The arrangement is 3 invest equally, sell the property and split any profit equally after all debts are paid.
During this confrontation this old friend then informed me that the above (false) allegations were knowledge amongst people that I know and that what I do is being watched and if I pay up this £60,000 each I will not be reported for these fictitious crimes. Considering the demise in the property market over the last 8 years we have done incredibly well to not be in negative equity. (As the total profit will be nearer to £10,000 in total!)
As a result of this I have not been sleeping and have found that people are avoiding me, possibly based on the fictitious facts doing the rounds, needless to say the whole situation has caused me hurt and could potentially damage not only my personal reputation but my professional one as well. Can I get help?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this today.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what is it you would like to achieve?

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

Do i have good reason to seek legal council, the assault took place indoors with only one witness and three children. My fear, how do i find out how far the lies have gone?

Alex Watts :

Did you report it to the Police, if not why not?

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

It is an old friend and i believe he is acting upon information that he has been given incorrectly, but may also have shared with others

Alex Watts :

Ok - then you should report it to the Police so they can investigate the matter and prosecute where necessary

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

I was hoping to know if a simple law act has been broken, therefore I could suggest what he has said was wrong, so he may feel that he should reveal the source of the misinformation so this can be handled like men and no more time wasted, i just want my integrity back and the rumours stopped.,

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

hello

Alex Watts :

Yes law has been broken.

Alex Watts :

If you have been assaulted then it (depending on injury) common assault or Actual Bodily Harm

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

only verbal assault, no violence, i'm a very calm person.

Alex Watts :

If you feared violence that can still be common assault

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

there is a lot of info about text/email etc abuse, not much on verbal rumours attacking ones integrity

Alex Watts :

If you feared violence it will still be an assault.

Alex Watts :

If it is a course of conduct that gives you alarm, harassment or distress then it may be harassment which is still a criminal offence.

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

slander? or is this an americanism

Alex Watts :

Slander yes, but this is a High Court proceedings and you have to show you have suffered serious harm. Proceedings are likely to cost around £15,000 or so

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

so for poor people?

Alex Watts :

Even for poor people and there is no legal aid for slander

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

If you win does the guilty pay all costs?

Alex Watts :

Not all, you generally have to pay about 25% of costs as the Judge never awards them all

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

thank you, ***** ***** going to the doctors to see if i can get some help sleeping. i guess harassment is a cheaper course of action?

Alex Watts :

Yes far cheaper and the Police can prosecute that.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

JACUSTOMER-3nl4sick- :

no, thank you for the information.

Alex Watts :

happy to help. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today. The button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

You have rated POOR SERVICE despite me giving you legal advice, what else do you want to know?

Alex Watts :

Are you able to respond?